Summer is officially here, avoid skin ageing by protecting your skin!
That means it’s time to pack up those sweaters, clean the clutter from our closets and most importantly get ready to see the sun more often!
We all love a little UV exposure, as it increases our Vitamin D production, but science has proven time and again that overexposure to UV rays prematurely ages us in the form of wrinkles and hyperpigmentation, damages the eyes, burns us (“don’t touch my shoulder!”) and most dangerously, increases the chances of getting skin cancer.
To ensure that you and your skin have fun in the sun with no regrets, as your skin is for life, here are 10 tips from your skin care expert!
Ten Tips to Protect you from Premature Skin Ageing:
- Seek shade. Avoid over exposure to the sun, especially between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, when the sun is strongest and UV risk is at its highest.
- Do not burn. Every sunburn increases the chance of getting skin cancer.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, one indoor tanning session increases melanoma risk by 20 percent. (Source: SkinCancer.org)
- Use sunscreen. Use sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day.
- Apply sunscreen all-over. Apply one ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Follow the manufacturers’ instructions, as you may need to re-apply during the day or if swimming, etc.
- Wear protective clothing. Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Keep new-born’s out of the sun. Sunscreen should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Do a skin examination every month. Early detection of abnormalities on the skin is most important.
- See a dermatologist. At least once a year take a visit for a professional skin exam. Your health is paramount.
- Wear environmental protection. Don’t forget to provide your skin with environmental protection with antioxidants. Antioxidants fight free radicals, which are the troublemakers in your system.